The Russian Compound is one of the oldest districts in central Jerusalem, featuring a large Russian Orthodox church and several former pilgrim hostels, some of which are used as Israeli government buildings and for the Museum of Underground Prisoners.
Museum of Underground Prisoners is a museum in Jerusalem, Israel, commemorating the activity of the Jewish underground—Haganah, Irgun and Lehi—during the period leading up the establishment of the State of Israel.
The Russian Orthodox Church, alternatively legally known as the Moscow Patriarchate, is one of the autocephalous Eastern Orthodox churches, in full communion with other Eastern Orthodox patriarchates.
Hostels provide budget-oriented, sociable accommodation where guests can rent a bed, usually a bunk bed, in a dormitory and share a bathroom, lounge and sometimes a kitchen.
The Locust- Live From The Russian Compound by EpitaphRecords
The compound was built between 1860 and 1890, with the addition in 1903 of the Nikolai Pilgrims Hospice.
THE LOCUST "LIVE FROM THE RUSSIAN COMPOUND": Official video by threeonegrecords
The Russian Compound covers 68 dunams between Jaffa Road, Shivtei Israel Street, and the Street of the Prophets.
A dunam, also known as a donum or dunum and as the old, Turkish, or Ottoman stremma, was the Ottoman unit of area equivalent to the Greek stremma or English acre, representing the amount of land that could be ploughed by a team of oxen in a day.
Street of the Prophets is an east–west axis road in Jerusalem beginning outside Damascus Gate and ending at Davidka Square.
After 1890 it was closed by a gated wall, thus the name "compound", but it has long since been a freely accessible central-town district.
In October 2008 the Israeli government agreed to transfer ownership to the Russian government Sergei's Courtyard.