GossipSloth

10 Facts About Epileptic Seizures

source
1

An epileptic seizure, also known as an epileptic fit, is a brief episode of signs or symptoms due to abnormal excessive or synchronous neuronal activity in the brain.

The brain is an organ that serves as the center of the nervous system in all vertebrate and most invertebrate animals.

Epilepsy in schools: how to deal with a tonic clonic seizure by Epilepsy Action

source
2

The outward effect can vary from uncontrolled jerking movement to as subtle as a momentary loss of awareness.

Classification of Epileptic Seizures by UCBEAction

Loading...
source
3

Diseases of the brain characterized by an enduring predisposition to generate epileptic seizures are collectively called epilepsy.

source
4

Seizures can also occur in people who do not have epilepsy for various reasons including brain trauma, drug use, elevated body temperature, low blood sugar and low levels of oxygen.

source
5

Additionally, there are a number of conditions that look like epileptic seizures but are not.

source
6

A first seizure generally does not require long term treatment with anti-seizure medications unless there is a specific problem on either electroencephalogram or brain imaging.

Electroencephalography is an electrophysiological monitoring method to record electrical activity of the brain.

Anticonvulsants are a diverse group of pharmacological agents used in the treatment of epileptic seizures.

source
7

5–10% of people who live to 80 years old have at least one epileptic seizure and the chance of experiencing a second seizure is between 40% and 50%.

source
8

About 50% of patients with an unprovoked apparent "first seizure" have had other minor seizures, so their diagnosis is epilepsy.

source
9

Epilepsy affects about 1% of the population currently and affected about 4% of the population at some point in time.

source
10

Most of those affected—nearly 80%—live in developing countries.

19 Facts About Elasticity
18 Facts About Bryan Harvey
5 Facts About Yellow Journalism
4 Facts About the Great Basin
8 Facts About Poop
6 Facts About Jamboree
7 Facts About Sheldon Adelson
12 Facts About the World Wide Web
8 Facts About Beto O'Rourke
8 Facts About the Financial Crisis of 2007–2008