The Detroit Free Press Building is an office building designed by Albert Kahn Associates in downtown Detroit, Michigan.
Detroit is the most populous city in the U.S. state of Michigan, the fourth-largest city in the Midwest and the largest city on the United States–Canada border.
Albert Kahn Associates is an architectural design firm in Detroit, Michigan with a second office located in Miami, Florida.
Michigan is a state located in the Great Lakes and Midwestern regions of the United States.
Detroit 2020/Abandoned Boats in the City by WXYZ-TV Detroit | Channel 7
Construction began in 1924 and was completed in 1925.
The high-rise building contains 302,400 sq ft on 14 above-ground and two basement levels.
A high-rise building is a tall building, as opposed to a low-rise building and is defined by its height differently in various jurisdictions.
The building features Art Deco detailing, and is a steel-frame structure faced with limestone.
Art Deco, or Deco, also known as Style Moderne, is a style of visual arts, architecture and design that first appeared in France just before World War I. It became popular in the 1920s and 1930s, and influenced the design of buildings, furniture, jewelry, fashion, cars, movie theaters, trains, ocean liners, and everyday objects such as radios and vacuum cleaners.
Limestone is a sedimentary rock, composed mainly of skeletal fragments of marine organisms such as coral, forams and molluscs.
Its design features stepped massing in the central tower and flanking wings.
When constructed, the building housed editorial and business offices for the paper as well as printing facilities and rental space.
The building is adorned with bas-relief figures, sculpted by Ulysses A. Ricci, symbolizing commerce and communication.
Relief is a sculptural technique where the sculpted elements remain attached to a solid background of the same material.
The building, located at 321 West Lafayette, has been unoccupied since the newspaper offices moved in 1998.
A newspaper is a serial publication containing news, other informative articles, and advertising.
It was formerly the home of the Detroit Free Press, and while occupied by the newspaper, displayed large neon signs of the newspaper logo on its roof facing north and south.
In the signage industry, neon signs are electric signs lighted by long luminous gas-discharge tubes that contain rarefied neon or other gases.
Printing facilities for the newspaper occupied the lower floors of the building until 1979, when a new production facility opened approximately one-mile southwest at 1801 West Jefferson Avenue.
The newspaper offices are now located in the building Albert Kahn designed for The Detroit News at 615 West Lafayette.
Because the News Building is only three stories, it is constructed of reinforced concrete and faced with concrete fashioned to look like stone.
When Free Press offices moved into the building, they occupied the southern portion and used the address of 600 West Fort Street while The News used its long-time address of 615 West Lafayette.
In February 2014, both newspapers announced their intent to move to another facility which would be more suited to their current needs.