Ancaster is a community and former municipality in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada, located on the Niagara Escarpment.
The Niagara Escarpment is a long escarpment, or cuesta, in the United States and Canada that runs predominantly east/west from New York, through Ontario, Michigan, Wisconsin, and Illinois.
Ontario, one of the 13 provinces and territories of Canada, is located in east-central Canada.
Canada is a country in the northern half of North America.
Ancaster Artesian Well - Natural Spring Water in Ancaster Ontario by jow69
It was founded as a town in 1793 and was one of the oldest European communities established in present-day Ontario.
Sulphur Springs Fountain - Natural Spring Water in Ancaster Ontario by jow69
It amalgamated with the city of Hamilton in 2001.
By 1823, due in large part to its easily accessible water power located at the juncture of already existing historical trading routes, Ancaster had become Upper Canada's largest industrial and commercial centre.
The Province of Upper Canada was a part of British Canada established in 1791 by the Kingdom of Great Britain, to govern the central third of the lands in British North America and to accommodate Loyalist refugees of the United States after the American Revolution.
Additionally, Ancaster had at that time attracted the 2nd largest populace in Upper Canada trailing only Kingston, but surpassing the populations of nearby Toronto and Hamilton.
After this initial period of prosperity beginning in the late 18th century, sudden significant water and rail transportation advancements of the early 19th century would soon better benefit Ancaster's neighbouring towns situated closer to the Lake Ontario waterfront.
Stationary steam engines for industries were also being rapidly developed in the 19th century that would eventually make Ancaster's water powered industries less vital.
As a result, after the 1820s, Ancaster's influence during the remainder of the 19th century would begin to wane.
From the late 19th century Ancaster's population would remain static until 1946 when new subdivisions around the village were established.
The population expanded further with the completion of the Hamilton-Ancaster section of Highway 403 in 1968 and the introduction of sewer systems in 1974.
After 1970, its population essentially doubled from 15,000 residents to its present-day 33,000.